Life Advice the Bolton Way




Thursday, August 4, 2011

hey big spender

Dear Advice Goddess:
I was brought up to believe that it's vulgar to ask people what things cost, such as their houses, cars or jewelry. A friend of my husband is always asking things like, "so how much did you pay for that TV ( or coat, ring, pushmower)?" and it drives me crazy. Do you have a snappy comeback that will shut him up?
Thanks,
Mrs. Retail Shopper

Dear Mrs. Retail Shopper,
Don’t you sometimes wish you could just shove a copy of Miss Manners in front of friends and tell ‘em to read up?  I completely sympathize with your situation, but do keep in mind that it’s possible they just aren’t a very good conversationalist and think they’re showing interest.  Then again, if you know they’re just being a snoopy S.O.B., here’s what I’d do:
1.       Do the old wave-off with your hand and say, “Oh, honey, I can’t tell you what that cost.  You’d be jealous to know what a steal I got.” 
2.       Or you can plead clueless (although sooo not my style): “Oh, I don’t keep numbers running around in my head these days.  I’ve got better things to think about, but I’m sure you could check on the website if you really wanna know.”
3.       “Oh, that?  That cost about 50 minutes of arguing with the husband in front of the salesperson and half a liter of margaritas beforehand.” 
4.       “That right there?  That’s the price of happiness right there.”  (I figure if you keep saying that, they’ll figure it out.  Kinda like when you say “take off your muddy shoes before you come in” 500 times to your kids.  They get it whether they admit it or not.)
5.       Or my personal answer, “What’d it cost?  Didn’t pay any attention.  Just threw it on the credit card.  Uncle Clyde always said price only matters when you’re talking hookers or beer.”  I’m not really sure it makes a whole lotta sense, but I’ve learned ain’t nobody got a comeback for it.
Then again, there’s always the basic, blunt “My momma’d kick your ass for asking a question like that.  We don’t talk about money ‘round here.  She’d be rollin’ in her grave.”  Nothing like a guilt trip to shut ‘em up.
Bottom line:  If he’s really your friend, then chuck it in the annoying habits pile and get over it.  There are far worse ones he could have.  If he’s best left as the acquaintance type, make it crystal clear you aren’t telling him.  That’s the “cost” of your friendship.

9 comments:

  1. I get a kick out of your superb advice. Good luck with your site.

    I'm not sure uncle Clyde was a good judge of the pocketbook. LOL


    Uncle Clyde always said "price only matters when you’re talking hookers or beer.”

    Jeanette Cheezum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to use these on my next door neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually give the standard answer "A million dollars." For everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my Dad always answered "Money & fair words"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you assume the positive before the negative :) beer and hookers... lol, who would have a response for that one!
    Great advice girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn - jkdavies has got there already ... or there's the slightly irrelevant 'if you have to ask you can't afford' line

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent information. Keep it going!

    Stephen Torelli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me give you a Lebanese saying my father used. "Beware of the person that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing!"

    ReplyDelete