Life Advice the Bolton Way




Monday, August 8, 2011

anniversary shmamiversary

Dear Bolton Carley,
My husband never remembers our anniversary!  I didn’t even bother to buy a card because I am so tired of him forgetting.  It’s his job to shower me with gifts, or at least a card on our anniversary and I get nothing.  Can you torture him for me?
No Gifts Necessary Apparently

Dear No Gifts Necessary,
If I teach him to fetch a card and give you the puppy dog eyes would he be out of the doghouse?  I hate it that you have a guy who forgets big days like that, but I don’t think you’re doing yourself any favors by being no better than him and not getting a card or at least a bag of snickers.  Two wrongs don’t make a right.  I recommend helping yourself out a little. 
There’s nothing wrong with getting him license plates with your anniversary date on them or making him a calendar with a giant picture of you popping off the page on the big day.  Short of that, I would also simply say things like, “So where are we going to be celebrating our anniversary Saturday night?”  or “I told Jane I couldn’t go shopping because I figured we’d be going out for our anniversary.”  Give a dog a bone, literally and figuratively if you must.
 Just remember that although he may need reminders, he probably does do some other things right like putting the garbage out, mowing the yard before your parents show up, reading books to your children at bedtime or making dinner when you work late.  No guy is perfect but most of them are worth keeping. 
Bottom line:  Coaxing may get you moonlight and roses, but bitching will only get your food spit in.
Sincerely,
bc

No comments:

Post a Comment