Life Advice the Bolton Way




Wednesday, July 27, 2011

i'm waiting on her again!

Dear Bolton Carley,
My friend is constantly late.  If we go to a restaurant, a concert or even shopping, it doesn’t matter.  She’s always at least 15 minutes late.  Sometimes, I think she thinks her time is more valuable than mine because I’m a stay-at-home mom so it’s no big deal if I have to sit around and wait for her.  I love her to death, but I’m sick of waiting!
Jara in Atlanta

Dear Jara,
So your friend is pulling an Elizabeth Taylor, huh?  I’m sorry that you get stuck checking email on your smartphone or cleaning out your purse while your friend is lollygagging.  That’s so not okay.  The way I figure it though, she still ranks as a friend and sometimes you have to put up with or overlook irritating qualities in your friends.  Trust me.  I’ve overlooked some bad hair dye jobs, a hacking cough habit, and some inappropriate groping.  It’s just what we do for our friends.  And I’m sure you have no bad habits or unlikeable personality traits that she tolerates (ha ha). 
Now, that being said, you can still handle the situation.  I’d recommend mentioning to her every time she’s late how long you’ve been waiting.  She’ll get the not-so-subtle hint.  Then again, you can take the pansy-ass route (which is my usual approach) and simply tell her 15 minutes prior to when you plan on being there.  If she happens to be on time due to some rare alignment of the stars or her need to get out of the house before her mother-in-law shows up, don’t worry about it.  She wouldn’t.
Bottom line though:  Good friends are hard to come by.  Think before you rip her a new one.

Sincerely,
bc

No comments:

Post a Comment